Came across this Austin 7 the other day, I've put some more pics in the gallery and here is a video of it in action.Currently for sale in Germany I sure you'll agree its a stunning car..the burr walnut effect paint is quite convincing(Although its supposed to look like a cigar!!). Engine size is 858cc but it has the added advantage of a supercharger. A perfect candidate to inspire a CycleKart build.....
The day job got me checking out the 2014 750MC race fixtures today and I took an immediate diversion to open the 750mc Trophy Page. These race car are Austin 7 based, come in various flavours and some even look like CycleKarts. There is a video link here that gives you some idea of the variety of the machinery, all built to series regs . I've put some Austin 7 racer pics in the Gallery page, they do lend themselves very well to a replica CycleKart. The Red no 58 pictured on this page is in the Mclaren F1 building, I believe Bruce's first race car.
I came across a pic of this car on the CycleKart.com site, its a 1929 Marmon Missile.
According to Wikipedia the Marmon Motor Car Company was established in 1902 in Indianapolis, Indiana USA. Now our CycleKart is more generic rather than a replica, but I thought (with a little more detail work) that a loosely conceived CycleKart version could be possibe. The car was for sale on the Bring a Trailer website. A very interesting fact was that in 1911 a Marmon Model 32 car won the very first Indy 500 race. Known as The Wasp for obvious reasons, there is a CycleKart Homage already in existance. More pics of the Marmon Missile are in the Gallery.
The wheels have just arrived, and I must say it changes the look and scale of the Kart dramatically.
I'd already planned to try and use rear Honda Cub wheels on the front of the CycleKart, and they'll fit lovely. Just a quick change of bearings and they'll slide straight on to the 25mm spindles. I waited until the wheels arrived before I looked at lock-stops on the steering and its evident I need them as the wheel just touches the camber rods on full lock.
The rear axle, brake disc and sprocket can be fitted so I can machine the axle to suit. Front track is 38"
give or take so I'm happy with that. The added advantage of running the rear Cub wheels on the front of our CycleKart is we can use "massive" 2.50" x 17" Tyres...well compared to the 2.25" x 17" front Cub size.
Our CycleKart is well under way and we we're thinking "what colours to finish it in?"
Favourites are listed below in a poll, please click your favourites, but if you have an other suggestion please add it to the bottom. The livery will include CycleKart UK and a "racing" number.
We have had an enquiry from an engineering company who want to use the CycleKart at an Expo in the summer, their thinking is the CycleKart could draw more visitors onto their stand... I think they might be right. Some temporary decals will be applied to the chassis sides and bodywork...oh and colour for them is not too important.
There wasn't any progress on our Cyclekart today (the day job gets in the way sometimes) but I've just created a CycleKart UK Forum. If you are reading this please don't be shy log in to the Forum and tell everyone what you are building or driving, or even ask a question about CycleKarts, someone may have the answer you are looking for.
Just a couple of pics of the bodywork showing the front chin piece under the "radiator" and a side view of the car. Note the boat tail is now looking something like the shape we want and only a bit more sanding and filler is reuired to enable a mould to be made in fibre glass .
We needed to get the exhaust pointing down so it won't burn the boat tail, so we fabricated a new pipe and silencer...boom...sounds good (probably a bit quieter than the stock Briggs & Stratton muffler) and the engine revved like a good un...
We'll need to jet the carb to suit, but I'll do that when we've made a custom "Race" airfilter. The engine limiter has been removed and from the standard 5.0hp I can see it making at least an extra 1/4 hp more :-)
So we cracked on with the front suspension. We had some leaf springs made to order (24" x 1 1/4") so the scale of the suspension looks correct. We used our in house bender to produce the axle using 38mm/1 1/4" tube, 2 bends either side were necessary to get to the point where we were happy with the angle where the axle met the kingpin outer tube. I didn't like the idea of attaching the axle to the leaf springs using only 4 u-bolts, so for added security (ie to stop the axle moving fore and aft) we fitted 2 turnbuckles each side with 10mm rod ends. The added advantage is that the caster can be adjusted and maintained (we might be over thinking this but every little helps with suspension set-up regardless of vehicle). The camber compensator rods look very period to boot. Some 16mm dia tube was used for the steering column topped off with a quick release steering wheel boss. Meanwhile more body filler was added to the Boat Tail...
We have already made some headway with the bodywork, so this is a retro blog, just to catch up. Taking inspiration from the Model T Ford/Miller race cars of the pre-war years. The car is not supposed to be a replica more a "homage" to days of old.. The slideshow shows the body Tub in construction using 1/2" ply, 0.9 mm aluminium for the bonnet and the boat tail/rear section is being prepared as a buck to make a fibreglass mould so we can reproduce that section.